Thursday, January 2, 2014

Teacher, iCoach, Coordinator, iDirector

4th grade Teacher, Instructional Coach, 1:1 Coordinator, Instructional Director: What's in a title anyway?

Has your "job" title changed? Do you find it difficult to describe what your role is? 

For 7 years, people asked me, "What do you do for a living? 

"I'm a teacher."

"What grade?"

"4th."

"Oh, it must be nice having your summers off."
...
For the past year and a half here's how the conversation went.

"What do you do?"

"I'm a teacher." (Who would know what an iCoach does?)

"What do you teach?"

"Well, actually I'm an Instructional Coach. I travel across 8 buildings to help integrate technology in the classrooms. So, I teach all grades."

"Oh, that sounds fun." 

"Yes, I love my job. I'm actually the 1:1 Coordinator too. All our students K-8 have an iPad or MacBook."

"What?" Proceded by remarks how students should or shouldn't be given a device for learning. 
...
On December 18th I was approved as the Instructional Director of South Berwyn. A lady asked me on Tuesday, "What do you do?"

"I'm an admin." (Who would know what an Instructional Director Does?)

"Oh, what kind of school?"

"Actually, I lead a team of Instructional Coaches and the 1:1 Program for my district." 

"Oh." Followed by a confused look on her face. 

No matter my title, I'm an educational enthusiast, passionate about teaching and learning.  Check out my updated About Me Page

No comments:

Post a Comment